History of The Food Pantry of Alpine
- Beginning of 2009 a group
of concerned citizens – representing various entities got
together to discuss the need – inspiration of Jan Moeller –
We elected officers: Fr. John Medvick of Holy Cross Anglican Church was our first president.
- Spring of 2009 – worked
on By-Laws and policies – applied for 501 (3) (c) status through
the state with the help of Eve Trook, a local attorney.
- That Spring & Summer, we raised start-up funds, secured a facility (Education Building at OLP (corner of South 6th and West Gallego) and developed policies. The board also volunteered at the Food Pantry of Jeff Davis County to see how they operated.
- Midsummer 2009 - received 501 (3) (c) status through Texas, sent it to Washington, DC for recognition status
- October 2009 - our first
distribution of 70 allotments
- Summer of 2010 – added in distributions to Marathon and to Terlingua
- October 2010 – Stopped distributions to Terlingua – due to transportation and expense issues (80 lots); another non-profit is currently doing distributions there.
- Spring 2011 – Board of
Directors decided that the FPA needs to have its own facility,
due to lack of space and storage at OLP; received a donation to
- Summer 2011 – began
negotiations with West Texas Food Bank to build on their
land in west Alpine
- October 2011 – 2nd
anniversary – and we had our first distribution at the WTFB,
which is allowing us to store and use its facilities until we complete our building/annex
- November 2011 –we served 235 families for a total of 477 individuals,
with 10 new applications for commodities FPA’s
distributions are averaging 204 families for 432 individuals;
We have, on average, 350 households with 738 individuals registered in Alpine and 70
households with 167 individuals in Marathon – for a total of 420 households/
905 individuals in northern Brewster County – a 500% growth in clients in
We remained at the WTFB building for 4 years.
- 2016-We moved to a building at 108 1/2 S. Neville Haynes Rd. to have additional space and are currently open on 5 separate days of the month, allowing us to reach more of the community in need.
- 2021-In September, we moved to our present location at 933 East Gallego Avenue. This is our first wholly-owned building!